Monday 31 January 2011

Jan... er... ok FEBathon

I sort of gave up on January. It started with the week of flu, the strep throat infection, and continued with the antibiotics. By mid-Jan I'd lost motivation and when I tried running it was pathetic and so far off the pace you'd think I was going backwards. So I decided that maybe February will be my comeback month - starting this week I would run at least 4 times a week, get back to regular yoga classes and work on my fitness for the Bristol 10k in May.
I happened to have a doctors appointment for an unrelated issue the other day and mentioned that I'd been struggling with my breathing, particularly in the evenings when I suddenly become short of breath for no apparent reason, and with regaining my fitness. I was dispatched with a prescription for a ventolin inhaler and another appointment to have a full lung function test. Tonight I went for a run, and as advised took my inhaler half an hour beforehand. I ended up doing 3 miles, a minute and a half quicker than my previous run, 2 minutes quicker than the one before that. So it seems that at least part of the problem is some underlying mild asthma, either that or the placebo effect is at work!
Intervals tomorrow...

No comments: